Uncommon Sense

December 16, 2020

Why, Why, Why, Why, Why?

Filed under: Politics,Race — Steve Ruis @ 9:06 am
Tags: , , ,

Over and over again people are asking the question why white evangelicals voted for Mr. Trump. This is not a mystery. White people, in toto, voted for Mr. Trump. In fact, since we started keeping track of how people of no color vote, white people have never voted in a majority for a Democrat candidate.

And even this is not a mystery.

Who benefits most from the status quo? Who has the most privileges? Who has the most status? If you didn’t answer “white people” you haven’t been paying attention. Okay, now, which of the two main political parties is more strongly associated with the status quo? Which wants to change things more and which less, the de facto champion of the status quo? If you didn’t come up with the GOP, you haven’t been paying attention. Which party, would you say, is the party of white people?

So, is it a surprise that privileged white people vote for the party that most staunchly defends the status quo?

No.

What is a surprise is that the party that supported our institutions the most (the GOP) and has argued for more personal responsibility the most (the GOP) and blames society’s ills on the victims the most (the GOP) has entirely abandoned the concept of personal responsibility. Lose a court battle? The Deep State was against you; you were cheated! Lose a local election? Voter fraud was the cause; you were cheated! Lose the presidential election by gazillions of votes? We were cheated . . . we didn’t lose . . . we won . . . we’re going to court to fix this immense wrong doing!

Mr. Trump lives by a couple of simple rules. Yes, “if you are not for me, you are against me” is one but another is “I never lose.” If he wins it is because of his brilliance. If he loses, it is because the game was rigged against him or he was cheated. He has shared these rules with many in his GOP base and we can expect them to carry on these lessons into the future.

The future does not look bright, manned by losers who never lose. Playing by the rules is a time-honored practice. So is changing the rules of the game while playing it.

11 Comments »

  1. Fox and now NewsMax are going to ruin your country.

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by john zande — December 16, 2020 @ 1:36 pm | Reply

    • Fox is now a liberal lying mainstream media, haven’t you heard?

      Like

      Comment by List of X — December 16, 2020 @ 11:00 pm | Reply

      • I did!

        This shit has to end. You literally can’t have “News” channels lying.

        Like

        Comment by john zande — December 17, 2020 @ 2:35 am | Reply

    • I don’t think it’s Fox per se. Foc tried to open up in Canada but pulled out because no one was watching. The problem is the polarization that is allowed to grow and fester because of isolated pockets in the news media and on the Internet. People who were isolated in their beliefs now find “communities” of people with similar beliefs. As example A: consider the burgeoning “flat Earth” people. Their premise can be disputed with a phone call. (Just call someone half way around the “globe” and ask them if it is light or dark. If it is light where you are, it cannot be but dark where they are and that doesn’t work with a flat Earth. Or call Australia and ask them what season it is, for Pete’s Sake.)

      Thi sis going to take some time to sort out, if we do, in fact, sort it out. This may just be Phase One of the demise of this country.

      On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Liked by 2 people

      Comment by Steve Ruis — December 17, 2020 @ 9:36 am | Reply

      • Never considered the examples you noted — need to mention them on Ark’s blog when the certain “flat-earther” shows up.

        Did you read that Trump is now insisting he won’t leave the WH on January 20th? This guy is freaking NUTS! To be so taken in by his own self-love is one thing, but to allow the ignorance of his “followers” to influence him is beyond sanity.

        Like

        Comment by Nan — December 17, 2020 @ 12:08 pm | Reply

        • Oh, I’d love to see him being “escorted” off the premises by the Secret Service! Perp walk, perp walk! Yes!

          On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:08 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

          >

          Liked by 1 person

          Comment by Steve Ruis — December 17, 2020 @ 12:21 pm | Reply

          • I’d be tempted to PAY to watch such a scene! Should we start “praying” it will happen? 😈

            Like

            Comment by Nan — December 17, 2020 @ 12:25 pm | Reply

            • Please, dear god, if you exist, I will be willing to do many things if you could make this happen. How often do you get a prayer from an atheist? Now is the time to deliver!

              On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:25 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

              >

              Liked by 1 person

              Comment by Steve Ruis — December 17, 2020 @ 12:28 pm | Reply

      • Didn’t Canada thwart them by only granting them an entertainment licence?

        But seriously, this drive to an alternative universe can’t be allowed to go on. Society rests on people at least sharing a common sense of reality. Ideologies can vary, but we have to all agree on the basics.

        Like

        Comment by john zande — December 17, 2020 @ 4:38 pm | Reply

        • Easy for you to say. The problem is we have a wealth acquiring mechanism that is based upon positive feedback to our worst thinking. The road to Hell is apparently paved with profits.

          On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 4:38 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

          >

          Liked by 1 person

          Comment by Steve Ruis — December 24, 2020 @ 1:22 pm | Reply

        • The way I heard it, it was a death of a thousand cuts … aka, low ratings … very low.

          On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 4:38 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

          >

          Liked by 1 person

          Comment by Steve Ruis — December 24, 2020 @ 1:23 pm | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: