Class Warfare Blog

January 19, 2020

Followers

Filed under: Uncategorized — Steve Ruis @ 10:08 am
Tags:

At this point I think of some of you who regularly comment on my blatherings as at least colleagues if not friends (yes, casual friends, but friends nonetheless). I was just reading a post elsewhere on WordPress and the author asked to be “followed” here and on Instagram and Twitter.

I was struck by the fact that I have never done the like. I have never asked people to “Follow me!” Now, it isn’t that I don’t check my site stats from time to time, being a bit of a stat junkie, but I haven’t had the thought of “Gee, how can I increase my number of followers?” or “Gosh, I would like to have more countries on my followers list.”

At no time have I thought of this endeavor as being a contest to see who can acquire the most followers, although I understand some politicians, athletes, and entertainment celebrities brag about how many followers they have. Now, that makes sense as they are all in the “look at me” business.

My motivation for posting has been to get a few things off my chest, clarify my thoughts, and to step out of the closet on some of my more unpopular stances. (I had not talked to anyone outside of my family about my atheism since college.)

To me followers declaring themselves as such is a little like declaring for a political party. There are no entrance requirements, no controls over who may or may not join, so bottom line I guess is that it is a gauge of how interesting you are as a poster and, even then, not a particularly good one as people need to find your posts to make that determination and that seems hit or miss. Plus they may be following you because they hate what you say rather than “like” what you say.

So, is acquiring followers for your blog(s) important to you?

28 Comments »

  1. My answer to your question – Is acquiring followers for your blog(s) important to you?
    is YES.
    Because I wrote the book “LIVE AND LET LIVE UNDER ONE G-O-D (Generator-Operator_–Destroyer) for as many people to read as possible to learn about Humanity and Spirituality. I did not write to make money.

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by liveandletlivemission — January 19, 2020 @ 10:32 am | Reply

  2. Any aspiring writer needs “followers”, which I’ll rename “readers”. There’s little point in writing if there’s no expectation for readers. I say little, meaning writing can also be cathartic for the writer.

    I never ask for followers. I do post a link to my blog in social media with the intent family will read my musings.

    Those who do follow me outside of family are certainly welcome, though! Many do become friends, every if only online and because of shared interests.

    Liked by 3 people

    Comment by Bruce — January 19, 2020 @ 12:15 pm | Reply

  3. It was important to me in the first few months of blogging, mainly so there would actually be conversations. Hasn’t been a burning issue since, although it does feel kind of nice to occasionally see the notice of a new follower. (At least when it’s not an obvious spammer.)

    But I’ve never explicitly asked for followers. And I’ve always been very judicial promoting my own blog. If you’re not getting followers because they’re interested in what you’re saying, you’re not getting real conversants, and for me the conversation is what it’s all about.

    Liked by 4 people

    Comment by SelfAwarePatterns — January 19, 2020 @ 1:24 pm | Reply

  4. I only follow your blog because that is the only option given. I’ve learned a lot about how to see things from a different, or additional angle, so thank you for that. But I am a reader, not a follower, although if I’m ever in your neck of the woods, I’d love to have a beer or two. Never asked for followers. Telling people to follow me sounds so…Jesus like

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by jim- — January 19, 2020 @ 2:46 pm | Reply

    • If you are ever in the Chicago area, the beers are on me!

      On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 2:46 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Liked by 2 people

      Comment by Steve Ruis — January 19, 2020 @ 9:35 pm | Reply

  5. “Followers” means zilch. My current “stats” show that I have 1762 followers — yet the “likes” (the people that I feel actually read my posts) usually run around 16-20 (sometimes more, sometimes less). And the number of people that regularly comment? Even fewer.

    Further, if you check your Reader and look at your list of “followers,” you’ll see names that are totally unfamiliar.

    Personally, I write on my blog because I have things I want to say or get off my chest or complain about. If I get feedback, it’s gratifying. If not, I figure I didn’t touch any nerves (negative or positive).

    For a blogger to “ask” for followers is, to me, a declaration of desperation.

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by Nan — January 19, 2020 @ 2:52 pm | Reply

    • I don’t know about the desperation, I think it is, to some extent, what young people do. I an not “on” Facebook and I don’t see the benefits but do see a giant waste of time (GWOT), and people were consumed on getting “Likes” on Facebook.

      On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — January 19, 2020 @ 9:37 pm | Reply

  6. Is acquiring followers for your blog(s) important to you?

    Short answer? No. Not really.

    Why not? That wasn’t my intention when I started WordPress. My intention was two-fold: 1) I have always despised and loathed the useless, shallow content of Facebook. And 2) I want better content, depth in topics (Tag-lines) to better discuss or debate, and the (relative) freedom to create attractive, appealing graphics, colors, music, art, patterns, etc, to enhance the 15-30 minutes Browsers spend (maybe) on my two blogs. “The Professor’s Convatorium” and “The Professor’s Lifestyles Memoirs,” my private Alt-Lifestyles blog. They both offer and fulfill all of my wishes and reasons to improve my average-to-below-average writing skills 😄 so, SO MUCH BETTER than Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, could EVER dream of providing! IMO, the comparisons/contrasts are no-brainers! But I’ve NEVER been one to follow the crowd, trends, or idiotic Presidents. One drummer, one beat: ME. 😁

    I used to love MySpace because I had (to a degree) the same freedom, artistic features, and similar Followers with similar wishes for creative and important content with flair. Plus, this is a great way to “Journal” our thoughts/feelings with others Steve! Right? 😉 I’ll never get back on Facebook because Mark Zuckerberg denies his technological platform/website cannot be held as ‘an Accessory‘ to promote violence, war, war-crimes, genocide, and hindrance and/or destruction to democratic elections around the world and in the U.S. 🙄🤬

    However, as you probably already know Steve, WordPress DOES advertise and push their Business-side blogs and (very sadly) incorporated Ads on every member’s Free blogs. That’s the American way dontcha know! Money, money, MONEY… monetize, monetize, MONETIZE! Make America great again by becoming MEGA HYPER-capitalistic (cannibalistic?) to make others/owners richer than they already are! 😒 Hence, exposure and go get more Followers. Yuk, vomit, but that’s Capitalistic Development (Manifest Destiny Cyber-style!), something inbred deep in American society’s DNA since our nation’s birth.

    Like

    Comment by Professor Taboo — January 19, 2020 @ 2:53 pm | Reply

    • Sadly, since October 2019 my blogs have been very detrimental to my relationships with my own daughter and son, when they found them and read 3-5 pages and 2-3 blog-posts. My desire to be true to myself, therefore not lying to anyone or hiding my own individual with to live free, express myself freely, do not always resonate with many Conservatives, especially ultra-Conservatives and zealous religious people and family members. 😔

      Like

      Comment by Professor Taboo — January 19, 2020 @ 3:00 pm | Reply

      • Yeah, I lost a few friends that way, but part of this is about me not hiding in the closet.

        On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 3:00 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

        >

        Liked by 1 person

        Comment by Steve Ruis — January 19, 2020 @ 9:40 pm | Reply

        • TOTALLY hear ya, agree with ya, and support ya Steve! No reason at all to NOT be true to self. ❤

          Like

          Comment by Professor Taboo — January 19, 2020 @ 9:44 pm | Reply

    • Well, someone told me that if I couldn’t figure out what they were selling on a free site … it was me. I like that WordPress isn’t selling our personal data … or are they?

      On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 2:53 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

      Comment by Steve Ruis — January 19, 2020 @ 9:39 pm | Reply

      • Steve, Steve, STEVE. If you have to ask that question now, in 2020, then all your personal information is already categorized, monopolized, and enima-ized for YOUR pleasurable future! 😛 Man… EVERYTHING is already out there. I even found out how long (on average) you spend in the bathroom on the toilet!

        😄 j/k my Friend.

        Like

        Comment by Professor Taboo — January 19, 2020 @ 9:43 pm | Reply

        • Hey, I am a very fast crapper and proud of it! Where can I check my stats?

          Actually I joined Facebook so a student could share videos with me and it had this cool service of being able to sign onto websites using your Facebook ID but then … wait a minute. I posted nothing nor did I allow anyone to post anything on my site. I never searcher Facebook for anything, but when I left, I asked for all of my data to be destroyed (Fat chance, but I followed their procedure) and I asked for a copy of the data they had on me. I was amazed at what they collected, just from me using their sign-in function … any really nothing else (oh, and viewing my student’s videos, twice).

          On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 9:43 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

          >

          Liked by 1 person

          Comment by Steve Ruis — January 19, 2020 @ 9:50 pm | Reply

          • 🤣🤣🤣 Thank you Steve for going with my weird sense of humor. You made me laugh so loud I can’t get the cat down from the ceiling! 😉 😛

            Would you like me to show here (publicly) what all they have on you? EVERYTHING? Even all the highly questionable, covert Secret Service double-agent stuff? 🤔

            😄

            Like

            Comment by Professor Taboo — January 19, 2020 @ 10:27 pm | Reply

            • Yeah, baby! Feed me … I can take it!

              (I was raised in a culture that insisted the “progress was our most important product” (even as if that weren’t GE’s slogan). As a child in the 1950’s everything was supposed to be getting better, and better, and … I wonder what happened to that attitude. I think the filthy rich co-opted it and us and switched over to “money is the most important thing we make.”

              On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:27 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

              >

              Liked by 1 person

              Comment by Steve Ruis — January 20, 2020 @ 7:44 am | Reply

      • “Well, someone told me that if I couldn’t figure out what they were selling on a free site … it was me. I like that WordPress isn’t selling our personal data … or are they?”

        That’s certainly true. The bills still need to be paid, employees need to be paid, equipment needs to be purchased, etc. so if someone is offering something for “free” then the product they’re selling is probably you and me. And while I haven’t gone through WordPress’s TOS I imagine they’re selling some of the data they gather about us despite the ads paying most of the bills.

        In my case I have WP’s commercial “platinum” service, so you shouldn’t see ads or be tracked or go through any of that nonsense at my site. But these days, who knows? I ended up buying the commercial service because I was originally going to run a storefront on a WP hosted site selling my furniture, wood art projects, photographic prints, etc. But then I remembered that I am A) lazy, and B) that I totally lack ambition. And then not long after that Tumblr started to get really, really strange, so I moved the blog over here and shut down the Tumblr account. I suppose I could switch over to a “free” account but that would mean having accept the advertising and all that goes along with it. Plus there are other incentives to keep the commercial account like 24 hour help, assorted tools to play with, free style templates, etc.

        Liked by 1 person

        Comment by grouchyfarmer — January 20, 2020 @ 9:00 am | Reply

        • People often say they were “lazy” as if that were a bad thing. My best friend from childhood was notoriously lazy (largely through self-promotion) and is now fairly well-to-do (maybe even wealthy).

          I tend to laziness and then work furiously for a while and then can’t be bothered for a while. (I am in a manic phase right now.) I have little ambition, except for a couple of doozies (sp? this is phonetic but the original reference was tot he Deusenberg automobile.) Frustrated that I could not find any books on how to coach archery I have set myself the goal of creating a professional literature for archery coaches. What that says about my ego is probably not debatable.

          Liked by 1 person

          Comment by Steve Ruis — January 20, 2020 @ 9:11 am | Reply

  7. Nope.

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by john zande — January 19, 2020 @ 2:59 pm | Reply

  8. I’ll be honest – yes. Not so much anymore, now that I barely write anything, but when I was writing more or less regularly – absolutely.
    I write (or I should really say “wrote”) jokes, and that kind of demands an audience. If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound? If no one reads a joke, is it ever funny?

    Like

    Comment by List of X — January 19, 2020 @ 8:52 pm | Reply

  9. The last time I looked I had about 200 followers, and frankly I’m surprised I have that many 🙂 I suspect a lot of those followed me over here when I jumped ship from Tumblr when things started to get weird over there a few years back. Word Press keeps sending me emails telling me I can up those numbers drastically if I do this, or that, or go to one of their online seminars, but I’ll take quality over quantity.

    I do the blog because I get satisfaction from it. I often treat it as a journal more than a blog.

    Like

    Comment by grouchyfarmer — January 19, 2020 @ 11:03 pm | Reply

    • It seems like we are a little enclave of folks who are motivated much the same way and the site is designed for us to find each other. That is kind of cool but then we all may end up “preaching to the choir” as it may be. I like the sharing of ideas but as Karl Popper (I think) said about science, it is conjecture and criticism. We seldom get much constructive criticism.

      On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 11:03 PM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — January 20, 2020 @ 7:46 am | Reply

      • You’re right. Without others to challenge our beliefs and ideas we can become so entrenched in our own biases and ideas that we turn into the kind of people we regularly complain about, and end up refusing to accept new ideas because we’re too comfortable.

        Like

        Comment by grouchyfarmer — January 20, 2020 @ 8:23 am | Reply

  10. Yes, I like having followers, but what I really like is having interesting followers, who will read what I write and maybe have good conversations about it. I find the best way to do that is to go read other blogs, find the ones that are really interesting to me, and like and follow them. Sometimes those bloggers will then go read what I wrote and follow me back. Just asking random people to “follow” you is not likely to produce productive conversations. And when some random christian blogger starts following me, I always worry that it’s just because they’re a preachy troll.

    I too am not on facebook. I don’t want to spend my time hearing about all the mundane details of everybody’s day, and pretending that I care. My spouse is on facebook, and he can keep me apprised of anything important.

    Like

    Comment by Ubi Dubium — January 20, 2020 @ 6:49 am | Reply

    • I too have a Facebook spouse. I wonder how common it is to have a Facebook “other” who can feed us tidbits worthy of our time.

      On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 6:49 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

      Comment by Steve Ruis — January 20, 2020 @ 7:48 am | Reply

  11. OK from the other side, as a follower of a fair amount of blogs here on WordPress and elsewhere.

    I, for one, enjoy the blogs first and as much, the various comments as you either feel “wow they think like me” or you learn something new. For me it’s all about the interaction.

    And the more comments the better…

    Like

    Comment by maryplumbago — January 20, 2020 @ 7:30 am | Reply

    • I can see that being isolated as we are, having contact and interaction is really important. I used to interact with many dozens of students and colleagues on a daily basis and then … .

      On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 7:30 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

      Comment by Steve Ruis — January 20, 2020 @ 7:49 am | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: