Class Warfare Blog

April 24, 2019

Why . . . ?

Filed under: Religion — Steve Ruis @ 8:29 am
Tags: , ,

Why is it that no enterprising evangelical or fundamentalist protestant has claimed that the fire that almost burned down the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France was “God punishing the Catholics for their failure to deal with the Church’s sex scandals (or fill in any other failing of the Catholic Church)?

These are people who have blamed natural disasters on gays, who have blamed political disasters on liberal Christians, etc. Why have all of the fundamentalists gone silent on this topic? Have they lost their cojones?

I did read that one such mouth breather didn’t realize that Notre Dame was a Catholic cathedral. He thought it was a museum or something. Of course, the stained glass and spires and the use of the word cathedral over and over were clues, as was the original build date for the “church” being 400 years before the Protestant Reformation. But I guess we shouldn’t expect people to put two and two together (or to get four when they do).

Come on evangelicals; there is still time! Don’t wimp out on us now!

And then there are the numbnuts who claim that the rain shower predicted the next day which held off until many of the art works that were exposed to the outdoors had been tarped or otherwise protected was an “act of God.” And the fire . . . it was what, you say? I’ll bet the insurance company will be arguing for “act of God” to avoid any payoff.

Advertisements

24 Comments »

  1. Oh we of no faith are so judgmental to point out the illogical disconnect. It must necessarily be the work of the supernatural hand since He controls the universe! GROG

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by grogalot — April 24, 2019 @ 9:44 am | Reply

  2. All religious beliefs are based on convenience.

    Liked by 1 person

    Comment by Nan — April 24, 2019 @ 10:37 am | Reply

  3. Not only are their beliefs based on convenience, they seem to flow depending on which way the wind is blowing on any given day.

    Like

    Comment by Walter Kronkat — April 24, 2019 @ 11:26 am | Reply

  4. I would rather be inclined to think the fire was intended to reboot the church and wipe away the cloud if sex crimes. If that were the case it seems to have worked. People are giving them lots of cash. Why is no one celebrating?

    Like

    Comment by jim- — April 24, 2019 @ 9:15 pm | Reply

  5. In response to your first question:
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/46233/prager-notre-dame-omen-dennis-prager

    Like

    Comment by John Branyan — April 25, 2019 @ 8:01 am | Reply

    • Ah, the dependable Dennis Prager! I missed this because his point is that it was an act of his god in the form of an omen indicating Christianity is under attack. This seems typical of Prager’s logic: burning down the grain silo to point out how fragile the food supply is. Still, the Catholics aren’t being punished, they are just being warned, but you get points for finding this, John!

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — April 25, 2019 @ 8:10 am | Reply

      • He is not writing about Christianity being “under attack”. He thinks that God is judging the Church because we have been unfaithful. You ought to cheer him on!

        Like

        Comment by John Branyan — April 25, 2019 @ 8:12 am | Reply

        • So Prager, whose background is fairly far from Christianity but is making his props there now, thinks “we” have been unfaithful and god is pointing this out with a fire. Okay, I got it wrong again! For an all-powerful entity He is pretty lousy at communicating. In this age of electronic communications, signs and portents is a weak form of sending messages. Even smoke signals would be more modern … wait … did anyone check to see if the smoke coming off of Notre Dame was in the form of dots an dashes?

          On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:13 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

          >

          Liked by 2 people

          Comment by Steve Ruis — April 25, 2019 @ 8:22 am | Reply

          • You missed your calling. You would make an excellent Baptist preacher.

            Like

            Comment by John Branyan — April 25, 2019 @ 8:25 am | Reply

            • Hallelujah! Coulda dunna, just lacking that one ingredient, you know, faith.

              On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

              >

              Liked by 1 person

              Comment by Steve Ruis — April 25, 2019 @ 8:27 am | Reply

              • You have more faith than most Baptist preachers. It’s just misplaced.

                Like

                Comment by John Branyan — April 25, 2019 @ 8:30 am | Reply

                • Have it your way, that’s what faith is about.

                  On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:30 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

                  >

                  Like

                  Comment by Steve Ruis — April 25, 2019 @ 12:41 pm | Reply

  6. You mean you do not choose what to believe? Then who does?

    Like

    Comment by Steve Ruis — April 25, 2019 @ 1:36 pm | Reply

    • Ah. I misunderstood your statement. Faith is indeed having it our way. That helps me understand why you keep saying you “have no faith”. You like to think you’re fueled by ‘reason’.

      You write scathing articles asking why none of us religious morons has written about the burning of Notre Dame as symbolic of God’s punishment. Then, when a religious moron links to an article written by another religious moron, you mock the idea that Notre Dame is God’s punishment.

      This isn’t very reasonable. This seems more like emotionalism.

      Like

      Comment by John Branyan — April 26, 2019 @ 6:57 am | Reply

      • I guess I should have said “no religious faith.” Symbolic of God’s punishment of Catholics, please. The reason it is based upon is there is a pattern: every time there is a significant natural or artificial disaster, someone in the religious community claims it is an act of god to punish Group XYZ for some religious failing. It is reasonable, therefore, to expect the same. I was wondering why protestant fundamentalists were taking advantage of the fire to stick to Catholics, one of their favor targets. This is not a reasoned argument.

        Well, also, what’s wrong with emotions? People seem to think that scientists have no emotions. It is science that has no emotion. Scientists are often very passionate (yes, about some quite strange things, but passionate nonetheless). Scientists can be irrational, flat out crazy, very unreasonable, etc. but their work is not judged on their personality (well, not for long any way).

        On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 6:57 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

        >

        Like

        Comment by Steve Ruis — April 26, 2019 @ 7:05 am | Reply

        • Nothing wrong with emotions. Feelings are the backbone of Atheism. If it wasn’t for rage, you guys wouldn’t have anything to write about.

          Like

          Comment by John Branyan — April 26, 2019 @ 7:23 am | Reply

          • It is better to be pissed off than pissed on.

            On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 7:23 AM Class Warfare Blog wrote:

            >

            Liked by 2 people

            Comment by Steve Ruis — April 26, 2019 @ 7:39 am | Reply

          • “Feelings are the backbone of atheism” – and what is faith in god, if not a feeling?

            Like

            Comment by List of X — April 28, 2019 @ 1:29 pm | Reply

            • Faith in God is a feeling. Like faith in your ability to reason.

              Like

              Comment by John Branyan — April 28, 2019 @ 3:02 pm | Reply

              • Right. And I’m fine with just the latter without complicating things with the former.

                Like

                Comment by List of X — April 28, 2019 @ 11:04 pm | Reply

  7. The evangelicals were too busy blaming the Mooslims for the fire.

    Like

    Comment by dm — April 28, 2019 @ 12:28 pm | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: