Class Warfare Blog

July 10, 2017

The Roswell Cover-up

Filed under: Politics,Technology — Steve Ruis @ 11:51 am
Tags: ,

I watched a UFO documentary the other day and I was impressed by one bit of that issue (into which I do not want to go) and that was the so-called Roswell Incident involved a government cover-up. The actual perpetrators fessed up, often on their death bed, but the government spin of the incident certainly involved the planting of false information and evidence.

If you are unaware of this incident, there was a crash landing near Roswell, NM. People rushing to the scene say what appeared to be a spaceship, at least some kind of aircraft. The Army (this was in 1947 before the creation of the Air Force) rushed in and confiscated the evidence and planted pieces of a broken surveillance balloon which they then photographed and fed the story to the press that the “crash” was just a balloon. (See the pretty pieces!)

There are many other aspects of this story, including accounts of bodies of aliens that do bear scrutiny but the point that drew me was the fact that the UFO experts said they understood and agreed with the government’s position to keep the incident, whatever it was, secret. This I find unfathomable. Maybe the UFO experts were tossing a sop to the government officials, but sheesh.

If this were not anything to fuss over, full disclosure of what actually happened could cause no harm, no? If, if there was an actual alien spacecraft that crashed there, it was insane to keep it secret. Think about it. If there is an alien race so advanced that they had mastered space travel (in 1947!), one can reasonable assume that they are substantially more advanced that we are. Consequently, it would take a total effort on the part of humanity to handle this challenge. This is not something where a single country says “Step back, I can handle this.”

There was also some evidence proffered that the government was reverse engineering the alien technology to advance our ability to deal with the aliens. If this were true, this is again not something where a single country says “Step back, I can handle this.” It would take a collaborative effort of everyone on the planet.

It would not be easy to bring the other countries in on the discovery. This was right on the heels of WW2 and feelings were more than a little raw, but so what? The added benefit is the shared knowledge that “we are not alone” and “we all need to work together.” Any parochial advantage gained is of little value if presented with a vastly superior alien adversary.

So, I do not believe government secrecy was the correct response. The fear that the public would panic, gives little credit to U.S. citizens. And, really, how long can you run around with your hair on fire? Most people are out of shape and will run out of panic energy in short order … and the smell of burning hair, eeew.

The secrecy blanket was deployed over decades and over many, many UFO incidents, some of the spin so ludicrous that the press and public started to scoff. All of the actual evidence could still be released, but once the government gets in the secrecy habit, it is hard to break.

Advertisements

15 Comments »

  1. You believe a UFO crashed at Roswell?

    Like

    Comment by john zande — July 10, 2017 @ 6:32 pm | Reply

    • I believe the government covered something up and had a disinformation campaign to boot. There are first hand reports from military personnel that there was a crashed spaceship, yes. Whether there was or not, I have no idea.

      On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

      Comment by Steve Ruis — July 10, 2017 @ 8:57 pm | Reply

  2. There was no visit from aliens at Roswell. What crashed was some top-secret US military experiment. My understanding is that the Army fed various lies to the media, hoping they would be swallowed and their secret device (the details of which I’ve forgotten) would remain secret. However, people did NOT buy the lies, and some of them decided it was aliens.
    Which is ridiculous.
    I truly hope that you, Steven, don’t believe that we were contacted by aliens in 1948 at Roswell. Or any time since.

    Like

    Comment by gfbrandenburg — July 10, 2017 @ 9:25 pm | Reply

    • The point was simple. If there was an experiment gone awry at the local base, then just describe it as an experiment that failed, collect the pieces and then go home. The local base was a site in which aviation experiments were being conducted, so why make up a bullshit story? I have no idea whether we have been contacted by aliens ever. Clearly there is no widespread evidence of such and people are too fond of making up stories to believe everything one reads. I merely argued that the “secrecy” surrounding whatever happened was misplaced, especially with regard to planting false evidence, etc.

      On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — July 11, 2017 @ 9:34 am | Reply

  3. I did four years in the University of Science, Music, and Culture (aka; USMC) and a 13 month tour in Vietnam 1970-71, the idea that the US gummint could keep an alien space craft secret for so long is beyond laughable to me. Oh, I had a top secret clearance due to my MOS, I was a radio relay repairman and had to have that clearance due to the equipment I was supposed to fix. Of course in Vietnam, the equipment I was mostly working with was old crap the Army had not used since Korea in the early 1950’s. Hey, the USMC gets 2 basic types of equipment, or did during my years with that outfit, old crap nobody else wanted or new crap nobody else wanted to try out. USMC was the first US military to use the UK built Harrier VTOL jets.
    Just my humble, well not too humble, 2 cents worth. Adjusted for inflation, now worth maybe $0.0000137582.
    Yeah, I AM a sarcastic/cynical SOB. No offense meant nor intended to anybody here……..Honest.

    Like

    Comment by davidambrose66 — July 11, 2017 @ 10:22 pm | Reply

    • Well, kept the secret(?) … not quite as more than a few people have blown the whistle on a number of these events, only to find themselves made unreliable and possibly jobless.

      On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — July 12, 2017 @ 9:59 am | Reply

  4. If that were really the aliens, then yes, it would be perfectly reasonable for the US government to keep the alien technology under wraps – it was the beginning of the Cold War, not the most conducive time for sharing advanced technologies.
    And back in 1947, if a single country were ever in a position to reverse-engineer any alien technologies, that would be the US.
    Having said that, I seriously doubt that an alien space ship crashed in Roswell.

    Like

    Comment by List of X — July 12, 2017 @ 12:20 am | Reply

  5. In my considered opinion, there is absolutely no credible evidence that the Earth has ever been visited by any members of any intelligent alien (ie exoplanetary) civilization, EVER. Which is probably a good thing, because if you look at our own human history, whenever a civilizzation weilding superior and lethal technology comes in contact with a different culture not so equipped, the latter end up in very,k very bad straits.

    That being said: That period of time, 1948, was just when the Cold War between the USA and the USSR was getting very, very hot. The US military was definitely trying out something-or-other, and they most DEFINITELY did not want the Soviets (or their allies) to learn anything about it at all. Kinda like nuclear weapons. Don’t forget the Rosenberg case! So, yeah, sure, the US military was going to cover stuff up, the best they could. During WW2, which had only been over for about 3 years, if the military told bald-faced lies to the people, most of them would just accept it, and those who didn’t, mostly kept their suspicions to themselves, unless they were in fact spies — and there certainly were some, we now know! (The Nazis were pretty bad at it, the Soviets much better — lots of people in the US considered the USSR to be the true defenders of the working class and so on, so they would do almost anything for it, including passing on information on secret weapons; I am sure that some (most?) figured the US and the USSR were allies, so any technology one had, should be given to the other, to make the common struggle against Fascism stronger; and after the war, if only the US had nuclear weapons, then they could blackmail the Socialist Motherland and compel it to give way, or wipe it out altogether, and impose a new form of Fascim with stars and stripes instead of a swastika. (And, in fact, if you think back to 1948, the way the US treated its black citizens and the ciitizens of its overseas colonies like the Philippines, was really, really racist and fascistic….)

    However, in 1948 people were no longer bound by wartime censorship rules. So when the first ridiculously phony lies came out about whatever it was that happened at Roswell, some of the folks who noticed that the explanation was cleartly bogus began asking more questions (and getting either the exact same recited BS or perhaps some new BS stotry) — and they began sharing their suspicions, without fear of reprisal. Some of the alternative explanations, however, are just as full of shit as the original Army explanation. Yes, it was a UFO – but if you realize what the acronym means, it just says ‘ there is something flying in the air and we don’t know what it is’. That’s precisely and exactly correct. I don’t know what the real story is, though I recall reading some plausible explanation about a very long airborne antenna intended to spy on Russia that crashed and burned and made the military quite nervous because locals got to looking at the wreckage. Sounds plausible, and definitely not something the USAAF would want anybody to learn about other than the team who put it up in the first place, for absolutely logical reasons. So when they discovered that a lot of people HAD seen it, they didn’t have access to that little flashlight device from Men In Black. So, they made up a bogus cover story. Maybe they even thought it was OK if people thought it WAS aliens, because then the secret-dev8ice-for-spying-on-the-Russians (who we were still kinda allied with, technically, right) would not come to light.

    One thing I am absolutely positive of, is that it was NOT aliens belonging to some civilization outside our solar system. They wouldn’t have been so crude, for one thing. And if our guys had killed the aliens, you don’t think they would come back for revenge? I will bet my entire life savings on that. And if anybody wants to take me up on that bet, and they lose (i.e. I can show that your evidence for alien contact is BS, then you have to give ME the same amount as I have in all my retirement accounts, plus my share of the value of the house and yard I own with my wife. I look forward to doubling, quadrupling, octupling my retirement savings!

    Like

    Comment by gfbrandenburg — July 12, 2017 @ 10:49 am | Reply

    • This is exactly why I didn’t want to bring this topic up. I do not give a shit about aliens. The topic I wanted to address was the government secrecy blanket and disinformation campaign thrown over whatever occured. I do not think it was warranted but a manifestation of the times.

      On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — July 12, 2017 @ 11:15 am | Reply

  6. […] think I disagree with Steven Ruis on this, though I often find myself in agreement with his […]

    Like

    Pingback by The Real Secret Behind the UFO* at Roswell in 1947 | GFBrandenburg's Blog — July 12, 2017 @ 11:31 am | Reply

  7. So, maybe we sort of agree. The UFO investigators wanted to keep the real thing secret because it was a classified anti-Russian device. So it was better to have the general population thinking it was aliens…

    Like

    Comment by gfbrandenburg — July 12, 2017 @ 11:32 am | Reply

    • But they didn’t have to explain what it was, it was just an “experiment gone awry,” no secrets given up and no bullshit either. This is my point. If a government spokesperson were to simply state that it was a secret experiment that failed (or only partially succeeded) what idiot report would ask “Can we have a description in detail?” because the answer is “Look up “secret” in a dictionary.”

      On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — July 12, 2017 @ 11:36 am | Reply

  8. I think that the prospect of discovering life elsewhere in the universe is fascinating.
    BTW, I am certain that there is life (or perhaps dead organisms) on Mars == because they [bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc]
    hitched rides on some or all of our landers, rovers, and other space vehicles! Some of them have survived round-trips from great distances!

    Like

    Comment by gfbrandenburg — July 12, 2017 @ 11:35 am | Reply

    • I also think the odds are good, but I have also blogged on how really big the universe is. The part we have access (or aliens have access to) is really quite small in comparison to the total. We can see much farther than we could ever travel.

      This makes the odds of such an encounter really very, very slim. But the purpose of imagination is a form of war gaming: imagining all kinds of what ifs and then fuguring out what you would do if that came to happen. This is one of the reasons we have so many conspiracy theories surrounding almost every possible human endeavor.

      On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Class Warfare Blog wrote:

      >

      Like

      Comment by Steve Ruis — July 12, 2017 @ 11:39 am | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: