Republicans have taken to describe President Obama as being lawless for his intention to use Executive Orders to achieve some of his administration’s ends. (Executive Orders are basically memos for the CEO regarding how to proceed with already designated activities.) The GOP pols say they cannot trust the President to enforce any immigration law they might pass, for example.
It takes a lot of chutzpah for the Republicans to call the President lawless. Pray consider the following lawless actions of recent Republican Presidents and presidential candidates:
• Richard Nixon’s treasonous working with the North Vietnamese to delay any peace talk activity until after his election (which he won in a squeaker).
• Richard Nixon and Watergate et. al. resulting in him quitting the office.
• Ronald Reagan’s treasonous working with the Iranian hostage takers, promising them a better deal if they released the hostages after Reagan’s election (which he won over Jimmy Carter and then the hostages were freed).
• Ronald Reagan’s illegal sale of arms to Iran (a connection to the hostage favor?) to fund his anti-Sandinista war in Nicaragua.
• George Bush’s lies about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction, resulting in an unnecessary war that caused trillions of dollars to be miss-spent and thousands of servicemen’s lives to be lost or changed irrevocably.
They say a good offense is the best defense and the Repubs are certainly offensive in this.